Featured Facts

Quick Facts about Rabbits

Rabbits can live 8 to 12 years. Rabbits are affectionate, s

read more


Scientific Facts 2

The male mosquitoes are vegetarians and live on eating the lives of the plants and the trees.Tongu

read more




Amazing Facts

Thanjavur Periya Kovil




Templenet focuses this week on
the glorious temples attributed to the reign of Raja
Raja Chola and his successors in the Thanjavur Cauvery belt of South India.



Historically speaking, these temples are not as ancient as the 274
odd Saivite temples and
the 108 Vaishnavite Shrines sung by the Nayanmars and Alwars of the
7th through the 9th centuries, however they stand out as towering monuments proclaiming
the glory of the Chola regime and its commitment to the arts and culture.



This issue zeroes in on the Brihadeeswarar Temple in Thanjavur,
Gangaikonda Choleeswarar Temple in Gangai Konda Cholapuram, the Airavateeswarar Temple in
Darasuram and the Kambahareswarar temple at Tribhuvanam.



Thanjavur: The districts of Thanjavur, Kumbhakonam and
Nagappattinam
(constituting the erstwhile Thanjauvr district) boast of hundreds of
ancient temples. The town of Thanjavur was the seat of the glorious Chola Empire of
Tamilnadu, and was later on
the seat of the Nayaks and the Marathas. True to art historian
Fergusson, the Chola artists conceived like giants and finished like jewellers.



Chola
History
:
Raja Raja Chola I, was clearly the greatest of the
Chola
Monarchs. During his reign (985 - 1014 AD) he brought stability to
the Chola Kingdom, and restored from obscurity the brilliant Tevaram hymns of the Saivite Nayanmars from obscurity. Raja Raja was a great builder, and the Peruvudaiyar Koyil or the Big Temple at Thanjavur was his creation.

His son Rajendra Chola (1014 - 1044 AD)
was a greater conqueror who marched all the way to the banks of the Ganges. This march was commemorated with a new capital Gangaikonda Cholapuram and another 'Periya
Koyil'. Gangai Konda Cholapuram was the capital of the Cholas for about two centuries,
although it is nothing more than a village now with this rather well maintained
magnificient temple. 35 Kilometers from Thanjavur lies Darasuram, once known as
Rajarajapuram - a part of the Chola's secondary capital of Pazhaiyarai.

Here is the Airavateeswarar Temple built by Raja
Raja II (1146 - 1173). It was during the reign of Kulottunga III
(1178 - 1218) that the Kambahareswarar temple at Tribhuvanam was built.



These four temples under discussion stand out from the others in
Tamilnadu in that, it is
only in these that the Vimanam towers over the entrance Gopurams.
After these four
temples, the Cholas went back to their traditional style of building
temples with larger
Gopurams and smaller central Vimanams. These temples are fitting
memorials to the glory of
the rulers that built them, as well as monuments of piety and a
committment to art and architecture.



Brihadeeswarar Temple at Thanjavur: A 107 paragraph long inscription on the walls of the Vimanam records the contributions of Raja Raja Chola and his sister Kundavai to the Thanjavur temple. The temple stands within a fort, whose walls are later additions built in the 16th century. The towering vimanam is about 200 feet in height and is referred to as Dakshina Meru. The octogonal Shikharam
rests on a single block of granite weighing 81 tons. It is believed that this block
was carried up a specially built ramp built from a site 6 kilometeres away from here.
Huge Nandis dot the corners of the Shikharam, and the Kalasam on top by itself is about
3.8 meteres in height.
Hundreds of stucco figures bejewel the Vimanam, although it is
possible that some of these may have been added on during the Maratha period.

The Shivalingam - Peruvudaiyar, Rajarajeswaramudaiyar - is a huge one, set in a two storeyed
sanctum, and the walls surrounding the sanctum delight visitors as a storehouse of murals
and sculpture.



The long prakaram surrounds the great temple (500 feet/250 feet),
and the walls
surrounding the prakaram again go back to Raja Raja Cholan's period.
The walls house long pillared corridors, which abound in murals, Shiva Lingams and
Nandis. The Periya Nayaki
temple within the temple is a later addition from the Pandya period,
and so is the Subramanyar Temple sung later by the Saint poet Arunagirinathar.



Incidents from the lives of the Nayanmars, several of the 108
Bharata Natyam Dance postures, manifestations of Shiva (Aadalvallaan - Nataraja,
Tripurantaka, Dakshinamurthi
etc.) are depicted in sculptured panels or in exquisite Chola
murals. Both the interior,and the exterior walls of the temple, are replete with images of the
kind described above.



The sanctum, the ardhamandapam, the mukhamandapam and the
Mahamandapam, although distinct,
form a composite unit with an imposing appearance that awes
visitors, forcing one to
wonder how such timeless architectural feat was executed about a
1000 years ago. Entrances
to the Mandapams and the towered entrances to the Prakarams are
majestic. The grandeur of
the architecture and the sculptural finesse speaks volumes of the
skills of the Imperial Cholas.



Inscriptions refer to Shiva as Dakshina Meru Vitankar and
Aadavallan. The Nandi, which
dates back to the Nayak period, is housed in its own mandapam and it
matches up to the grandeur and size of the temple. It is a monolithic Nandi weighing about 25 tonnes, and is about 12 feet high and 20 feet long.


   
Related Tags: Temple  Ancient  Amazing  
 
Current Rating :
Rate this Mail :